Pumpkins aren't just for Halloween! This fragrant curry is a family favourite and serves well with basmati rice and mango chutney.
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
- Flesh of Pumpkin roughly chopped
- ½ an onion finely chopped
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- Small red chilli (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil or Cooking Oil
- Pinch of Powdered Cinnamon
- Pinch of Sugar
- Coriander to garnish
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add oil to a pot, and on medium heat, allow to warm up. Add a few mustard seeds and if they start to pop, you know the oil is at the correct temperature.
- Add the rest of the mustard seeds and cumin seeds, allow to brown gently, then add in the onion and the curry leaves.
- Once the onion has turned translucent, add the pumpkin and garlic and stir well. Next add in the chilli, cinnamon and sugar and stir to coat the pumpkin in all the spices.
- Turn down the heat and put the lid on, allowing the ingredients to cook.
- If you find that the pumpkin is sticking too much to the bottom of the pot, add a little water.
- Pumpkin cooks quickly and you just need to check that the pieces are soft and cooked through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from the heat and garnish with coriander.