Bees are a vital part of the global ecosystem and it is our job as gardeners to provide a safe haven for them in our gardens.
Water, pollen, and nectar - consistently. If you can create a garden that will provide these vital resources for a bee, you have yourself a bee-friendly garden.
Here are a few tips to help you create a bee-friendly garden:
- Plan to have flowerings plants all year round
- Be diverse in colour, shape, and size of your flowers
- Plant fruit trees, especially citrus
- Allow some of your vegetables and herbs to flower
- Provide a water source in your garden, ensuring that there is a rock or stones in it for the bees to sit on
- Be diverse in the types of plants you select
- Avoid pesticides and chemicals
- Plant herbs!
- Relax the weeding and allow weeds to flower but NOT to shoot seed
- Build a bee house
Find bee-friendly plants by the click of a button in our KNOWLEDGE tab: