A picture of a Cortinarius rubellus

Cortinarius rubellus

Cortinarius rubellus

Photo by Eva Weme (CC BY 4.0)

More images of Cortinarius rubellus

A photo of Cortinarius rubellus
A photo of Cortinarius rubellus
Cortinarius-rubellus064
Cortinarius-rubellus063

Cortinarius rubellus Overview

Cortinarius rubellus looks like something from a fairy tale, but don't be fooled, because the deadly webcap mushroom is a killer. Although rare in the UK, the fungus has been the reported cause of several deaths in Europe. It's commonly mistaken for the edible Chanterelle, a mushroom popular with foragers. Deadly webcaps contain a poison called orellanine. The toxin works by producing long-lasting effects on those who ingest it. Three days after ingestion, flu-like symptoms become apparent, with headaches and vomiting reported as the main symptoms for previous cases. Eventually, the poison induces kidney failure in its victims, or in some cases, death.