Location: Queen Square, Bristol Contract type: Full-time, Permanent
Candide is a growing market-network platform based in central Bristol with the mission to connect plant lovers with everything they need. We are an ambitious, international start-up enabling people to progress their passion for plants and nature through the application of technology. We have offices in Bristol (UK) and Cape Town (South Africa) with over 50 staff members.
We openly put our people first, and we’re proud to be building a team that genuinely loves working and learning together. We know how important a positive, inclusive culture is, so have a read to see if you think we might be a good fit.
We are looking for an experienced, innovative and collaborative leader to drive our global Marketplace Strategy - our customers in this area of Candide are everyone who buys and grows plants, whether indoors or outdoors. Our efforts in this area have been focused on building a warm community centred around plant knowledge, and in 2019 we also added the ability for the community to buy, sell and swap plants with one another.
With online plant sales blooming due to COVID, we are accelerating our growth strategy to become the largest online plants marketplace in the UK in three years and expand to other markets.
- Support Candide’s CEO by leading the division and delivering against its investment case;
- Expansion of our business offering, and expansion of territories;
- Growing the team and increasing momentum to achieve and secure market leadership fast;
- Evolving a clear strategy for the Gardens business in collaboration with our senior Product and Growth teams;
- Maintaining healthy momentum whilst challenging boundaries and executing in step changes for the win;
- Developing affiliations, partnerships and investment opportunities that can accelerate our execution;
- Ensuring team and customer engagement, and effective communication to stakeholders and teams;
- Defining and achieving budgets and growth goals;
- Representing Candide at industry and regional bodies, to raise our profile and increase adoption of our service.
- Investor, board and team alignment to our consumer strategy;
- Clarity of thought from overall strategy from business plan goals and day to day action;
- Successful attainment of business targets and budgets;
- Increased market share, expanded solutions, and positive net promoter scores among our customers and across the market;
- Increase the depth of Marketplace and Knowledge services utilised among our customers;
- Positive and fluid engagement with our growth and product teams, and within your team.
Your Skills and Experience
- Leadership experience across product, business development and engineering in an online marketplace. An understanding of the dynamics of building a loyal and defensible user base is essential;
- Ambitious, you want to be the market leader but you act with integrity;
- Strong and honest influencer with excellent negotiation skills;
- Great communicator;
- Accountable, and results-driven;
- Continuous learner with an interest in mobile apps, emerging technology and understand the potential use of machine learning.
Working at Candide
We offer an amazing work environment - both in the office and outside of it, and a fast-paced development cycle which moves the product forward quickly and is very responsive to opportunity. We have a solid strategic plan, long-range funding and a very experienced and capable team making it happen.
Candide has a friendly, plant-filled Bristol office, which the team is looking forward to returning to when it is safe to do so. We are happy to accept candidates who are living elsewhere, provided that they are able to move to the Bristol area when the office reopens. Remote working is permitted during COVID but candidates will be expected to work from the office in the future.
Great communication means there is an inherent no-blame culture, and our collaborative and inclusive structure encourages everyone to share ideas on how we can improve our processes, growth and product. Our teams have a short daily stand-up, this ensures we remain aligned, and those who build products stay very close to our customers that enjoy them. To encourage innovation, we hold monthly hack days where everyone can build something new that falls outside our current roadmap - an idea, a campaign or even a small product - with whomever they like.
For plant lovers
We democratise information about plants by building social connections between people, gathering their knowledge and making it as accessible as possible. We ultimately aim to be the most useful tool in a gardener’s pocket and to accentuate the social, environmental, and physical benefits already associated with gardening.
For the future
We explore new, emerging technologies and continuously adapt to rapidly seize opportunities others have missed. In this way, we will bring the gardening industry into the 21st century and secure its relevance in the long-term.
We build on the inherent positivity of our subject matter and protect our “warm and safe community”, which sets us apart. We use our platform to encourage conscious, informed decision-making and work with individuals and companies to progress our values.
What You’ll Get From Us
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays), because the rest of your life is important too
- An extra paid day off to spend among plants
- Regular team socials
- An amazing plant-filled office in Queen Square
- Your choice of equipment
- Pre-paid training budget for whatever you need to do your job more effectively
- Grant of SARs (Stock Appreciation Rights) after two years of employment
- Flexible working hours (core hours 10am - 4pm)
- Enhanced shared parental leave
Please submit a CV and covering letter to email@example.com, highlighting your fit to the experience and application criteria.
A successful application typically involves:
- A short phone interview
- A small take-home assignment
- An on-site/remote interview with a few members of the team.
- An interview with our CEO
To find out more about Candide, visit candidegardening.com.
Please do not hesitate in contacting firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to find more before you apply.
Notes to recruiters
Please read this. TLDR: don’t send us candidates unless you are on our preferred supplier list. Any candidates you do send will be treated as a gift.