It's getting to the time of year where food is scarce for wildlife. Not only will you be helping birds with this children's craft, but it is also a lot of fun!
- Pine cones
- Wool/sting (natural fibres are best)
- Birdseed, in a bowl
- Lard in a bowl, melted in microwave (use coconut oil as a vegan alternative)
- Tie the string to the top of your pine cone.
- Making sure the lard isn't too hot, so it's only just liquid.
- Holding the string, dip the pine cone in (this is where it gets messy!).
- Make sure all the crevices of the pine cone are full of lard.
- Roll the cone in birdseed so it all sticks in.
- Hang your bird feeder outside and watch the birds flock in!