Contract type: Full-time, Permanent
Location: Queen Square, Bristol
Salary: £22,000 to £28,000 / year
Candide is a growing market-network platform based in central Bristol with the mission to connect plant lovers with everything they need. We are an ambitious, international start-up enabling people to progress their passion for plants and nature through the application of technology. We have offices in Bristol (UK) and Cape Town (South Africa) with over 50 staff members.
We openly put our people first and we’re proud to be building a team that genuinely loves working and learning together. We value diversity of opinion and out-of-the-box thinking, which help us to grow the brand rapidly, creating products that appeal to a broader audience. We know how important a positive, inclusive culture is, so have a read to see if you think we might be a good fit.
About Candide Marketplace
Candide Marketplace is the go-to destination for plant lovers to buy, sell and swap plant-related products online. It’s home to some of the very best independent businesses in horticulture, from growers of rare plants to sellers with unique handcrafted items for the garden.
We are looking for a user and product-focused marketer with a STEM background (science, technology, engineering or maths). This role provides the opportunity to combine creative skills with data analysis. The successful candidate will be managing advertising content and feeding into the creative strategy.
While we are looking for a candidate with experience in digital marketing and data analysis, the most important strengths in any person at Candide are a strong work ethic and a problem-solving mindset. We will consider applicants without a marketing or data background if they are able to demonstrate flexibility and an understanding of the role.
The Digital Marketing Executive will work with the Digital Acquisition Manager to come up with and test innovative advertising creatives which speak to our diverse audience of plant lovers. This role will also involve:
- Creating, managing and reporting on the performance of ads for the Candide app and ads for Candide Marketplace products across multiple platforms, including Facebook Ads (incl. Facebook Catalog), Google Ads (incl. Google Merchant Center), Apple Search Ads and other channels, including split-testing different creatives.
- Building and optimising landing pages for targeted ad campaigns in Hubspot or another CMS.
- Supporting the Marketplace team to come up with new ideas for promoting products and working closely with the Marketplace Growth Lead to pass on insights into advertising performance, keeping adverts updated with the most relevant information.
- Responding to comments on social media ads, and reviews of our app in the app stores.
- Developing your role and skills through continuous research, training and conferences, to ensure that Candide remains at the cutting edge of digital advertising. This will include regular research into new techniques and tools for marketing Marketplace products, and staying aware of competitor ads.
The ideal candidate would have a background in digital marketing, with experience managing social media channels, customer relations, and running campaigns in Facebook Ads or Google Ads (especially Google Merchant Center). Web design skills would be helpful, even in a simple CMS, like Squarespace. We use Google Sheets and Data Studio for reporting, so a candidate with experience using either of these for data processing and visualisation would have an advantage.
We find that applicants from a STEM background with creative hobbies tend to fit in well with our ethos of learning from experimentation. However, experience of working towards OKRs (data-based goals), and optimising a marketing strategy by collecting and analysing data to improve the performance of a product or campaign would also suffice.
Candidates with some experience of e-commerce, whether that is selling through Etsy or running an online shop, would be a great addition to our team. We also value some understanding of gardening or caring for houseplants…
But the perfect candidate may only have a few of the above experiences - we are most interested in people with enthusiasm and a proven ability to learn on the job.
You are a scientific thinker with a passion for user experience. Your data-driven approach to problems, combined with a proactive flexibility means that you use the evidence to find solutions, rather than being knocked back by problems. You demonstrate confidence, creativity and professionalism in your work, while embracing out-of-the-box thinking - you aren’t afraid to experiment! You are a highly enthusiastic person, excited to produce and manage innovative advertising campaigns that make Candide a stand-out brand.
- Return on ad spend (£s of revenue per £s spent on ads)
- Gross market sales (GMS - number of transactions)
- Cost per user (ad spend per registered user)
- Customer retention rates, loyalty and lifetime value (LTV)
Working at Candide
We offer an amazing work environment - both in the office and outside of it, and a fast-paced development cycle which moves the product forward quickly and is very responsive to opportunity. We have a solid strategic plan, long-range funding and a very experienced and capable team making it happen.
Candide has a friendly, plant-filled Bristol office, which the team is looking forward to returning to, when it is safe to do so. We are happy to accept candidates who are living elsewhere, provided that they are able to move to the Bristol area when the office reopens. Remote working is permitted during COVID but candidates will be expected to work from the office in the future.
Great communication means there is an inherent no-blame culture, and our collaborative and inclusive structure encourages everyone to share ideas on how we can improve our processes, growth and product. Our teams have a short daily stand-up, this ensures we remain aligned, and those who build products stay very close to our customers that enjoy them. To encourage innovation, we hold monthly hack days where everyone can build something new that falls outside our current roadmap - an idea, a campaign or even a small product - with whomever they like.
For plant lovers
We democratise information about plants by building social connections between people, gathering their knowledge and making it as accessible as possible. We ultimately aim to be the most useful tool in a gardener’s pocket and to accentuate the social, environmental, and physical benefits already associated with gardening.
For the future
We explore new, emerging technologies and continuously adapt to rapidly seize opportunities others have missed. In this way, we will bring the gardening industry into the 21st century and secure its relevance in the long-term.
We build on the inherent positivity of our subject matter and protect our warm and safe community, which sets us apart. We use our platform to encourage conscious, informed decision-making and work with individuals and companies to progress our values.
What You’ll Get From Us
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays), because the rest of your life is important too
- An extra paid day off to spend among plants
- Regular team socials
- An amazing plant-filled office in Queen Square
- Your choice of office equipment
- Pre-paid training budget for whatever you need to do your job more effectively
- Grant of SARs (Stock Appreciation Rights) after two years of employment
- Flexible working hours (core hours 10am - 4pm)
- Enhanced shared parental leave
How to Apply
Please send a 1 or 2 page CV covering your employment history, relevant experience and education, and a 1 page covering letter explaining why you have applied for this role to [firstname.lastname@example.org](mailto:email@example.com). Unfortunately, we cannot consider candidates who do not follow the above instructions. We recommend that you research the Candide website (candidegardening.com) and app (Candide) before submitting an application.
A successful application typically involves:
- A short phone interview
- A small take-home assignment
- An on-site/remote interview with a few members of the team
- An interview with our
Everyone is Welcome
Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to find out more before you apply.
Please read this. tl;dr: please don’t send us candidates unless you are on our preferred supplier list. Any candidates you do send will be treated as a gift.