It's time to make jam, chutney and pickles...
Plums are one of the first crops that beg to be preserved, making wonderful chutneys and jam.
I love that smell of cooling chutney and enjoy serving it in the depths of winter, knowing that it came from my garden and I grew it.
One of the simplest recipes I use:
- 1kg of plums, halved, stoned and finely chopped.
- 3 onions finely chopped.
- 100g dried cranberries or raisins, roughly chopped.
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger.
- 1 tbsp black mustard seed.
- 1 tbsp ground cumin.
- 1 tbsp
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 400ml red wine vinegar
- 500g light muscovado sugar
- Mix all the ingredients (except the sugar) in a large sauce pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ad the sugar, stir and boil for a further 20mins.
- Pour into sterilised jars
We would love you to share with us your favourite recipes and your memories of collecting fruits and vegetables and then turning them into wonderful preserves.