- Location: Queen Square, Bristol
- Ideal start date: ASAP
Candide is a growing market-network platform based in central Bristol with the mission to connect plant lovers with inspiration, knowledge and each other. We are an ambitious, international start-up enabling people to progress their passion for plants and nature through the application of technology. We have offices in Bristol (UK) and Cape Town (South Africa) with over 44 staff members.
We openly put our people first and we’re proud to be building a team that genuinely loves working and learning together. We know how important culture is, so have a read to see if you think we might be a good fit.
Our team leverages data and machine learning in order to create the best app experience for our users. As Candide continues to experience an incredible fast-paced growth of our user base, personalisation, recommender systems, optimisation and insights become increasingly important in order to enable us to achieve global scale.
We are looking for a data scientist to help us design, test and deploy machine learning algorithms, in order to improve our customers’ experience within the app, as well as inferring insights for our partners at large. If you are skilled in data science, machine learning, mathematics, and have a passion for solving problems and finding data solutions, then this is the role for you!
- Build new machine learning algorithms in order to improve our key metrics
- Work alongside the rest of the team in order to come up with creative solutions and strategies
- Work closely with software engineers, product owners and designers
- Learn and develop new techniques
- Conduct practical research in a scientific way, with a focus on delivery
- Keep up to date with the latest machine learning techniques
- Help us to continue build our machine learning culture in the company
Your Skills and Experience
- MSc/PhD in Mathematics/Computer Science/Machine Learning
- Minimum of 3 years experience in a similar role
- Strong coding skills in Python. Experience with pandas, scikit-learn, matplotlib etc.
- Proven track record in building and implementing machine learning algorithms
- Experience with recommender systems engines would be advantageous
We work in small, cross-functional teams to turn business goals into product features. Great communication means there is an inherent no-blame culture, and our collaborative and inclusive structure encourages everyone to share ideas on how we can improve our processes, growth and product. All our teams have a short daily stand-up, this ensures we remain aligned and those who build products stay very close to our customers that enjoy them. To encourage innovation, we hold monthly hack days where everyone can build something new that falls outside our current roadmap - an idea, a campaign or even a small product - with whomever they like.
For Plant Lovers
We democratise information about plants by building social connections between people, gathering their knowledge and making it as accessible as possible. We ultimately aim to be the most useful tool in a gardener’s pocket and to accentuate the social, environmental, and physical benefits already associated with gardening.
For the Future
We explore new, emerging technologies and constantly adapt to rapidly seize opportunities others have missed. In this way we will bring the gardening industry into the 21st century and secure its relevance in the long-term.
We build on the inherent positivity of our subject matter and protect our “warm and safe community”, which sets us apart. We use our platform to encourage conscious, informed decision-making and work with individuals and companies to progress our values.
What You’ll Get From Us
- 25 days holiday because the rest of your life is important too
- An extra paid day off to spend among plants
- Regular team socials
- Pre-paid training budget for whatever you need to do your job more effectively
- Enhanced shared parental leave
- Anonymous mental health support. If you need it, we want to help you :)
- A successful application typically involves:
- A short phone interview
- A small take-home assignment
- An on-site interview with a few members of the team, and some from other teams
- An interview with our CEO
Our interviews are informal, we like to have a chat about what excites you, interesting projects you’ve worked on, and what you can bring to the team.
Everyone is Welcome
Get in touch if you have any questions – we’re a friendly bunch :)
How to Apply
Please email your CV and any other supporting information to this address.
Recruitment agencies, please read this (TLDR: don't send us candidates unless you're on our preferred supplier list. Any candidates you do send will be treated as a gift)