Have you ever wished there was a gardening version of The Great British Bake Off? Well, your wish might have just come through!
The Big Flower Fight is a brand new Netflix show, bringing you eight episodes of frivolous flower sculpting.
The show's premise is simple: every week, the flower-sculpting duos compete in a thematic challenge, such as creating a massive pollinator-friendly pollinator sculpture or a wearable dress made out of plants.
Each week, the winning floral design will be given a Best in Bloom prize, while the losing duo’s creation will be sent to the compost pile.
The dome in which the show takes place must be a dream come through for some, as it is filled with hundreds of flowers, equipment and an array of floristry tools.
The show is hosted by Vic Reeves and Natasia Demetriou and Kristen Griffith VanderYacht judges the sculptures with a weekly guest judge by his side. The list includes Simon Lycett, James Wong, James Alexander-Sinclair, Sarah Eberle, Humaira Ikram and Sophie Walker.
On being the lead judge in The Big Flower Fight Kristen told Radio Times: “My mission is to help flowers finally get the respect they deserve. This isn’t your basic bunch of blooms. This is the real deal. So buckle up and get your shovel ready for some farm fresh floral fantasy realness!”
He also promises he won’t be sugar-coating any of his critiques but isn’t planning any unnecessary nastiness either. “I’m a very honest judge but I like to think that I’m encouraging, I’m not here to tear anyone down. I know that the creative energy they are putting into their creations is immense,” he tells us. “At the same time, I believe in them, and if I can see that they’re coasting through, then what’s the point? I don’t want you to come to this competition and show me something you’ve already done."
The 10 contestants in The Big Flower Fight are:
- Henck and Yan, florists and Chelsea Gold Medal winners
- Ralph and Jim, father and son working in horticulture and 3D design
- Sarah and Jordan, wedding florists from the US
- Andi is head gardener of Yeo Valley and Helen, presenter at Candide
- Andrew and Ryan, artists exploring the relationship between humans and nature
- Monet and Stephanie, the youngest contestants, florists from England
- Nick and Taylor, houseplant experts from New York
- Raymond and Chanelle, the fashion designer and flower shop owner duo
- Declan and Eoghan, landscape architects from Ireland
- Rachel and Delilah, dancer and freelance florist from Brooklyn
You can watch the first season of the show on Netflix
Let us know in the comments who your favourite couple are!