More images of Slippery Jack Mushroom
Slippery Jack Mushroom Overview
Suillus luteus, the Slippery Jack Mushroom, is one of the most widespread summer and autumn fungi species. The very slimy (when wet) cap surface is the origin of the common name, which in some countries is applied to several members of the genus Suillus. This edible bolete is most often seen in large numbers beside paths in pine plantations or pine forests, and it is one of the boletes that has a distinctive ring, white at first but discolouring with age. The cap is convex, brown in colour and can grow up to 12 centimeters in diameter. The pores on the underside of the cap are yellowish in colour and turn greenish as they mature. The stipe is a pale yellow and can grow up to 10 centimeters tall and 3 centimeters in diameter. The stipe is normally cylindrical but can have a "swollen" base. The underside of the ring is dark brown to violet after it is separated from the cap. This mushroom is not particularly favoured for its taste, however it is commonly used in soups, stews or fried dishes. The slimy coasting should be removed before consumption as it can cause stomach upset and indigestion.
Common problems with Slippery Jack Mushroom
The fruiting bodies can be attacked by fly larva.
Slippery Jack Mushroom Companion Plants
How to harvest Slippery Jack Mushroom
Harvest from under pine plantations after a wet period, pick on soil level by twisting and pulling the base of the stipe.
How to propagate Slippery Jack Mushroom
Spores can be spread by the wind and under the right climatic conditions they will germinate, the mycelium will colonize and fruiting structures will form.
Other uses of Slippery Jack Mushroom
Not rated very highly, they are edible when thoroughly cooked. To reduce the risk of an adverse reaction to these kinds of mushrooms, it is beneficial to discard the cap skin before cooking.