Japanese buxus (over 5 years old)
Japanese buxus is a good choice for bonsai for its small leaves, attractive fissured cork-like bark, and relative tolerant of warm indoors conditions. It is not hardy, however, and must be taken indoors when temperatures fall below 4 degrees C. The natural growth habit of boxwood makes it a good subject for the informal upright style.
Position: Place in brightly lighted cool location, avoiding direct sunlight in summer. Buxus bonsai will tolerate temperatures up to 30 degrees C but will need misting twice a day. If the plant is put outside during the summer, be sure to bring it indoors when temperatures drop below 4 degrees C.
• Water: Boxwood do not like wet feet. Remove any water in the saucer and allow the soil to dry out between watering.
• Fertilizer: Feed with bonsai fertilizer every 20-30 days from spring through fall. Do not feed in winter.
• Repotting: Repot the plant in spring every 2-3 years being sure prune the roots and add some ground limestone to the soil
• Soil: Bonsai soil or soil, peat moss, and sand in a ration of 2:1:2; Boxus does not tolerate acid soil so add some ground limestone.
• Pruning: Pruning the branches can be done at any time. When six pairs of leaves have developed, cut new shoots back to two or three pairs of leaves. Roots should be pruned in spring at the time of repotting.
• Wiring: Wiring can be done any time of year.
Harpur Centre Florist celebrated its 20th year in business last September. A family run business, we pride ourselves on only selling the best.
We came across a massive bonsai nursery when on a buying expedition near Canton in China back in 2001. It was like the rolling hills of Devon with bonsai as far as the eye could see. They estimated they had 4 million trees of all sizes. It was very impressive. Upon our return to Europe we teamed up with a Dutch wholesalers and are now able to supply all over the UK.
Over the years we have attended all the major show events including the ideal home shows in Manchester and Olympia, London and C4 Grand Designs shows.
We supply to the trade and have a number of prestigious bonzia companies that we serve.
All of the trees are of top quality, disease free and each has an EU passport certificate number.
Please contact us on 01234 812761 if you require any more information.